G'Day Mates!!!

Welcome to my blog! I am a senior at Baylor University and will graduate on December 18, 2010. Before I graduate though, I wanted to experience the educational system in another country…and have a little vacation at the same time :) When I was younger, I always said that if I had the chance to visit any country in the world, it would be Australia… That sounds corny but I’m not kidding. I actually have a survey from third grade that asked... “If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?,” and my answer was Australia!

Well, the opportunity arose through Baylor to study abroad in Brisbane, Australia, to teach and assist at Whites Hill State College (a middle school in Brisbane), to independently travel to Sydney and Cairns, and also to travel to New Zealand on the way back to America. The trip will last from November 9 to December 12. Needless to say, I am super excited to travel to Australia and learn about the people and culture in this country!!!

I hope you enjoy reading my blog and I look forward to sharing my adventures with you! G’Day mates! Let’s go to the land down under!!!

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Are you smarter than a 5th grader??


Before I said my goodbyes to my 5th grade kiddos at River Valley Intermediate School in Waco, TX, the students wrote letters to my future students in Brisbane.  The following are some quotes from their letters…

·      I have 3 dogs, well ones an older brother, but he counts as a dog. He’s 12 for goodness sake.
·      Do you believe the world will end in 2012? My brother/dog does.
·      Are there any fads like Silly Bandz that are small, if so can you send me some?
·      I was wondering if ya’ll take field trips or do you take the TAKS test?
·      Do you have to hunt for food?
.   Don't forget to flush the toilets to see if the water spins in the opposite direction!
·      Do you have phones in Australia? I can teach you texting words. Here are a few:
LOL: Laugh out loud
gtg: Got to go
tul: talk to you later!
ROF: Roll out falling
·      We just celebrated Halloween, which is an American holiday. All you have to do is go to people’s door and ask for candy. Usually they will give it to you.
·      I’ve heard that Kohala bears are mean. Is that true? Because I don’t believe it. They are too cute.
·      Texas isn’t THAT hillbilly!
·      Hunting is another thing I love to do. This deer season I hope to sack a deer.
·      I have 1 mom, 1 dad (not divorced), 1 brother, 1 sister, and of course…1 me!
·      We have lockers that get very crowded and we have people who always get books thrown on them and kids who get hit in the head with them.
·      I’m glad I got to write to you, mate!
·      We have a restaurant in Texas called “Outback , “ its Australian.
·      My first, most important question, do you have WKB? World Kangaroo Boxing?
·      Is it difficult living in Australia, I mean with poisonous snakes, poisonous lizards, man-punching kangaroos…don’t die.
·      Have you ever been punched by a kangaroo?

Kids say the darnest things!

No comments:

Post a Comment