G'Day Mates!!!

Welcome to my blog! I am a senior at Baylor University and will graduate on December 18, 2010. Before I graduate though, I wanted to experience the educational system in another country…and have a little vacation at the same time :) When I was younger, I always said that if I had the chance to visit any country in the world, it would be Australia… That sounds corny but I’m not kidding. I actually have a survey from third grade that asked... “If you could go anywhere in the world, where would it be?,” and my answer was Australia!

Well, the opportunity arose through Baylor to study abroad in Brisbane, Australia, to teach and assist at Whites Hill State College (a middle school in Brisbane), to independently travel to Sydney and Cairns, and also to travel to New Zealand on the way back to America. The trip will last from November 9 to December 12. Needless to say, I am super excited to travel to Australia and learn about the people and culture in this country!!!

I hope you enjoy reading my blog and I look forward to sharing my adventures with you! G’Day mates! Let’s go to the land down under!!!

Saturday, November 20, 2010

1 Week Down... in the Land Down Under

Today was the last day of our first week at Whites Hill. Mr. Seipel wasn't at school so there was a substitute teacher. Today was also the last day of school for the Year 12 students. In honor of their achievement, all the students at Whites Hill State College, Prep - Year 11, as well as friends and family, joined in the auditorium for their graduation assembly. It was an emotional moment for the seniors and reminded me of my high school graduation 4 years ago. Although the students wore school uniforms instead of caps and gowns, the graduation celebration and the students' emotions were similar to the United States. We are halfway around the world but there are still similarities in traditions such as these.

I also handed out the letters from my students in America to my students here in Australia. They LOVED them and they are so excited to write back! They laughed at questions like, "Have you ever been punched by a kangaroo?" and they were surprised by a girl who said she loves to hunt for deer!

Tonight we are off to the Gold Coast to swim at the beach. It is also Schoolies week so it will be a very interesting trip. Schoolies is a party on the beach for students who have just graduated from high school. The estimated number of teenagers who will be at Schoolies is 35, 000! The concept of Schoolies just blows my mind. In the U.S., we have Project Graduation after graduation to prevent students from going out to parties, drinking and getting into trouble. But here, the country promotes Schoolies and the parents help to buy drinks and transport their children to the Gold Coast for the week. Wish me good luck that I make it back to Brisbane alive! Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment